Sunday, February 12, 2017

First Week!

Hey everyone, sorry for the late post, but my Google account basically locked me out on Friday evening (which meant that every service associated with Google that I use was not functioning for me). 

I think my mentor, Mrs. Hammond, put it best when she stated "real estate is immensely interesting because all of the little bits of analysis come together to form a bigger picture". I spent the entire week geeking out over  how to put together all of the pieces of information that go into a loan request. A loan request is meant to present all of the information any party making a loan request for the construction or refinancing of a loan could need; there's the basics, like location, age of the building (or buildings), occupancy, and so on. It doesn't just stop there. There's lots of maps which each address a different scale (city, neighborhood, locality), demographics information, and sales comparables, among other things. That's not even the coolest part though. I filled out official employment paperwork! I have a company email! And my own desk! I can even go to the bathroom without signing out- talk about a step up from BASIS life. I've never felt adultier (I know that's not a word-let's just go with it for the time being) in my life.

It seems to me so far that I've heard most of the terms that I was hearing on a daily basis thrown around before, but I suppose I never paid enough attention to realize that each one is so much more significant than it seems at first glance. Sales comparables are literally exactly what they sound like: properties that, on the basis of price, location, and quality, are similar to the property of interest. After spending a couple hours on Friday making a map of 38 sales comparables, I learned, or rather saw, that a lot of information is necessary to make any large financial decisions, even if it takes looking at 38 different (but often very closely clustered) cases to get an idea of what you're looking for.

My work throughout the week was learning how to piece together a loan request, and as such, all of the different documents that are included have their own creation processes. Even though the loan request that I will eventually make will be for one deal (which may or may not be the apartment complex next to the light rail- things are still being negotiated and I'll know more as time goes on), I practiced by making documents for several different deals, including an industrial complex and an apartment deal. I worked on the maps for part of the week, as well as gathering previous tax information on an apartment deal. Before this, I literally had no idea what an Assessor was, much less that Maricopa County had one. Navigating his website was easy enough, but with every piece of information that I came across, I kept asking myself, "how did he manage to put all of this together in one document?" I suppose that's another question I'll be able to answer ten weeks from now.

I've also learned to be grateful for that AP Economics class I took last year impulsively (and by impulsively, I mean that I thought 13 AP exams wasn't a high enough number and I needed 2 more). I was lucky enough to know what all of the different taxes mentioned and not to be completely lost as I read the template loan request Churchill provided me with, but there were still terms that I have a very shaky idea of what they mean. I guess that leads to me to what I want to do next week, or at least what I hope to do.

Capitalization rates, among other terms,  are still a mystery to me, but so far, they haven't come up that much in my work. I promise I won't do the thing where I ignore the problem until I absolutely have to address it, but I have to read at least a few Investopedia articles before I can say that I understand everything. Next week will probably be a continuation of this week: I'll make more parts of loan requests, and, as other deals progress, there's a possibility that sometime in the near future I will be taking pictures of properties of interest to be included in the loan requests (I never thought I'd be thanking myself for taking Digital Photography during freshman year). I don't currently know what the situation is with the apartment complex I was talking about in my last post, especially as situations in these deals shift constantly, but I'll post it here as soon as I know. The takeaways from this week are:

1. Real estate involves so many minute details coming together to form a big picture, like an impressionist painting (you know, the ones with the dots. I was never great at art).

2. Google Maps is overly excited about showing me points of interest, and  I don't know enough code to overcome it, even after spending at least an hour reading up on JavaScript and trying several lines of code I found online.

3. I never thought I'd be this excited over gigantic lists of numbers and clustered points on maps.


Thanks for reading, and see you next week!

25 comments:

  1. Hi Tanmyaa! It really seems like you're enjoying your SRP thus far (I could tell with all the exclamation points!) My question for you is: How much time exactly will you spend working on loan requests and such before you dive into other parts of real estate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ameya! For the time being, I help out with a good portion of the deals that Churchill is negotiating, and much of my work is loan requests (and their creation). As far as I know, I will eventually be visiting properties of interest to take photographs that will be included, and I will also try my best to track the development of an area after deals are executed. Things are not necessarily on a strict timeline right now, but I can't wait to see what the future holds!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your first week, and on your official employment! As a startup intern, I don't get an email (or paid), but it's still good work. Good to hear that you're able to use the skills you learned from such different classes at school!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds like the first week is going well! I hope your desk is better than those at BASIS, it must be since you mention it. I get very frustrated with Google maps as well, and I hope you find a way to get what you are looking for! If you figure it out, please share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on your first week accomplished in the real world! I am very happy to hear that all this vocabulary I am presently learning will be of some use one day.

    Do you actually find the property maps at the County Assessor's website or do you have to go somewhere to get the maps of the properties?

    How many properties do you have to compare to the one you are interested for the loan documents? Why doesn't the bank giving the money do that part so it's not skewed?

    Sorry....lots of questions just popped into my head.
    Glad you are learning so much!

    Have a great week!

    Jakob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jakob! Thanks for all the questions; they give me more insight into what I'm researching and as such, I'm really glad you asked.

      I find property maps on the County Assessor's website and Google Maps mostly. It depends on what kind of map I am making. Usually, city and neighborhood maps are taken from Google Maps, and an assessor's map is also included.

      The amount of properties I have to compare depends on the deal. For an industrial complex deal, I had to compare 38 different properties, but for an office building, I had to look at 5 or 6. I don't know if there is a relation between the type of deal and the amount of properties, but I haven't found a significant one yet. I'll make sure to ask when I go back on Wednesday!

      As for your last question, we are basically in charge of putting together enough information so that all of the interested parties, including the lender and the borrower, know exactly what they're going into. We use sources that are unbiased, like the Maricopa Country Assessor's websites that don't contain any commentary so that our information does not necessarily favor one party over the other.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  5. That is amazing. I hope your are enjoying this, and congrats for getting through the first week. I am just wondering how much time is needed to complete the process of working on a loan.Thank you so much I hope you have a wonderful second week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mateo! The amount of time it takes for a loan really depends on the loan, but at the staff meeting I went to this morning, the number mentioned for most deals is 120 days. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. The upgrade from the repetitive school day definitely sounds amazing. You do address a point I've never thought too much before in that real estate requires experience in many different fields. At the brokering firm, are you the only intern? I feel like it'd be quite intimidating to be placed in a professional working environment surrounded by adults.
    I look forward to next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely amazing. I am the only intern, and there are 7 or 8 other people working with me. It's not that intimidating because everyone treats me like an equal and does not hesitate in offering help or guidance when I don't know how to do something or what something means. It's a little daunting sometimes, because even though I am there to learn, I don't want to disappoint, but maybe that's just me. It's definitely something new, and it'll take me and everyone else a bit of time to get used to it, but it's good practice for the future!

      Delete
  7. Hi Tanmyaa! Great job adulting like a pro. What other aspects of real estate are you going to look into in the coming weeks (or do you not know)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimi! I've got quite an array of aspects of real estate that I'm looking at with the loan requests beyond the financial stuff like taxes- there's also demographics, economic development of an area, and more that I can't name off the top of my head. Of course, I hope to be eventually see the negotiation process take place, but there's already a lot for me to do and learn.

      Delete
  8. Wow!
    Your work so far sounds amazing. From what you wrote, it sounds like you will have a relatively large roll in the deal. Does the firm you are interning at usually accept high school students to occupy such a position? I was also interested when you mentioned AP Econ. Would you say that taking the AP helped your understanding of the deal as a whole? Best of luck on week 2!
    Also, kudos for adulting and having your own professional email!

    Best,
    Gabby Wodka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabriela! As far as I know, I'm the only high school intern they've had, and part of the reason they offered to host someone doing their senior project is because Mrs. Hammond's daughter, Sarah, is also a senior at BASIS.

      AP Econ has been helpful in that I can recognize several terms in all of the paperwork that I've seen, and in that all of the basic economic principles, like scarcity and diminishing marginal returns, are also definitely present. It's cool to see something that I learned in action. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tanmyaa! I am very excited about your project because I am also interested in the same fields as you (like economics and finance). I am so glad that the Economic class was helpful to you, as it is always nice to hear that the classes you take come in handy when doing something outside of school. Also congratulations it must be nice having your own desk and professional email. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tanmyaa! Sounds like a great project. Congrats, this actually sounds very interesting. Keep up the good work it sounds like you are really enjoying yourself.

    Looking forward to next weeks blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a productive first week! For your next post, I'd love to see some photos/pictures to visualize your experience - maybe your office space or some of the maps that you are creating?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Mitrovich, I will make sure to include a picture of my workspace for this week's post. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Hi Tanmyaa! It's cool to see what I'm learning in economics actually has a real big impact on the world around me (I guess I should pay attention more in class.) Anyway, was there anything in particular that was the most difficult for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adam! There's a lot of terminology that I'm not familiar with, and I often get confused between all of the different things I'm supposed to keep track of. However, it's a learning process, and I'm sure that if I keep on trying, it'll all make sense soon. Thanks!

      Delete
  14. Hey Tanmyaa! I think it's fascinating that you get to closely study the how companies negotiate contracts, which seems like a topic that goes nearly unmentioned even in classes like AP Econ. It also seems like creating a loan proposal is quite a lot of work! How automated is the proposal creation process?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grady! The proposal creation process really isn't automated at all, so far. I've had to do a lot of the calculations and find a lot of the numbers and figures by myself so far. Don't get me wrong; it's quite fascinating to watch as things change over time, but it definitely is a long process. Companies that consult with Churchill really seem to appreciate all of the hours it takes to put together all of that information, because it is indeed very difficult to condense all of the information needed into a relatively concise and understandable format. Thanks!

      Delete