Friday, February 24, 2017

Third Week (AKA Shredder?!)


Hey everyone, it looks like it's that time of week again! To be honest, I think I know what the ropes are now, but there's a long way to go before I can claim any sort of proficiency.

My work this week has mostly been looking at the largest spreadsheet known to mankind, containing 1749 different properties of a multitude of types (ranging from office and retail, to mini-warehouses and drive-thru restaurants. 1749 properties is a huge number. It takes me 30 seconds and one very-tired finger to scroll all the way down to the bottom (I know this because I timed it).  The purpose of the spreadsheet, from what I gather, is put lots of loan maturities in one place so that Churchill can follow-up with deals that are nearing their loan maturity date.

To put in simple terms, a loan maturity refers to the last payment of a loan, including interest payments (Thanks Real Estate Dictionary!). The reason loan maturity dates are important is because many people tend to need more money (for a variety of reasons) for the operation of their property, and therefore need to either ask for a new loan or refinance their existing loan. Refinancing is part of the work that Churchill specializes in. The great part about having a spreadsheet like this is that it firstly allows whoever is using it to track progress of a property (or an area!) over time, in terms of how much income the property is making, the loan amount they need (whether in the past or present), tax changes, market improvements, and so on. This spreadsheet specifically tracks deals from 2011 to 2012, which means that if each of the properties follows the typical 5-year loan time period, then the loans would be about to reach their maturity date, giving Churchill the opportunity to step in.

In a previous post, I mentioned that I was filling out a preliminary analysis for an apartment complex. Work progressed on that today, and I compared the listings of rental homes and other apartments on Zillow to get an idea for the average monthly rent and rent per square foot for the market. The reason that this is important is the apartment deal aforementioned is going to be a construction project, and lenders need reassurance. If their predicted rent per square foot is wildly different than the market rate, then they have a higher chance of losing their investment.

I've realized that many of my expectations about the professional environment were definitely influenced by the many hours I spent watching the Office and Brooklyn 99 (though the latter has less obvious effect). It's been interesting to take a look at the differences between what we see on TV and the reality of working in a professional environment:

1) Paper jams are existent, but they're not as big of a deal as they are on the Office.

2) People are so friendly! Every time I walk past the elevator to get to Churchill's office, I pass several other companies, and there's this one receptionist who I always wave at.  He has great hair; I should ask him for tips. In the first week I was here, he looked confused, but now he laughs and always waves back. Progress! (It took a lot of waving. I pass by him several times a day so I guess that helped?)

3) Even finance, in all of its glory, can get to be a bit tedious. One of the other people who works here, Chad (hi Chad!), said this to me about it: "no matter where you start out, unless you're already doing something complicated, this kind of work is what you should expect as some of the first things you will do when you get a job." I don't mind it at all (I like the freedom that comes with interning), but it's nice that I'm getting an idea for what life will be like in a few years.

4) I have a new best friend here. I'm accepting name suggestions, because Shredder is unoriginal. I'm thinking Jack the Ripper, but comment your suggestions and I might turn it into a poll!  Here's a picture:

Displaying 20170224_143010.jpg
Fig. 1: Churchill's paper shredder
I never knew I could have so much fun shredding papers. Of course, I'm trying not to be obnoxious about it and only shred things that have to be shredded and when people are out to lunch, but honestly if Churchill was trying to condition me like Pavlov, they could reward me with papers to shred.

Anyway, that's enough of things on a tangent, but as this project progresses, I'm starting to see more of the reasons why the processes I observe take place, and what that means in a bigger picture. Thanks for reading, and see you next week!

15 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you've learned the ropes! When do you start learning knots? If you think that spreadsheet is large, you haven't seen biological data. We have over four hundred patients with millions of rows of data at my bioinformatics project.

    I'm surprised that you're using Zillow for your analysis, it seems like a real estate firm would have proprietary information already. Has Zillow improved the analytical ability of the firm, or made it easier to find/collect data? Do they need to license it in any way for commercial use?

    Have a great weekend! I'm always interested in hearing more about finance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tanmyaa,

    It's great that you are starting to feel more comfortable at your workspace. I was curious as to why you decided to use Zillow to compare listings. Does Churchill prefer Zillow over maybe ARMLS for some reason? Have you looked at other listing services specifically geared towards the real estate professional? Anyways, thanks for the explanation on loan maturity and refinancing. I'm looking forward to your next post!

    P.S. I think you should name the shredder Shreddy Roosevelt. Also, I'd really love it if you posted more pictures of your workplace.

    Best,
    Gabby W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tanmyaa,

    It sounds like you really got to dive into your project this week. I was also wondering about why they use Zillow for comparables. I know some realtors use the multiple listing service (MLS) to get comparable sales prices on past properties. I'm not sure if that system includes potential rent prices though. Zillow seems fast and painless.

    Anyway, I am so happy that you are enjoying the project and are getting some real world experience.

    Jakob Krygier

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Tanmyaa!

    Wow that's so cool how you were able to link your work experience with that of TV shows like the Office and Brooklyn 99. I just have to say I absolutely love the Office, best TV show ever! But anyways, I'm curious if actually watching those shows helped you understand the workplace more; and if so, how?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tanmyaa!
    Glad to see you are enjoying your senior project. Sounds like you got a lot information to sort though on you spreadsheet. Also, why is the spreadsheet of data from 2011-2012? Great to know how your work relates to TV shows, super cool!
    Good luck and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tanmyaa how are you?
    I'm so happy to hear everything is going well, but I hope you have time to sleep and relax. I am just wondering if there is a reason that Zillow is better than any other program or website?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tanmyaa,
    I'm sure it took someone a long time to make a spreadsheet with 1749 rows! I'm glad to see television can help in a job... better go watch some right now, if it helps for a job... Does is matter if the predicted market rate is higher or lower than the predicted rate, or do you lose your investment either way? I think a good name for the shredder is the Macerator.

    --Kenneth H.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tanmyaa! It's great to hear that you're loving working at Churchill! I just want to say, I feel your pain at just how annoying enormous spreadsheets can be--there's nothing quite like that feeling of eye-fatigue after staring at one for a little bit too long.

    Is Churchill's spreadsheet of loan maturation dates based on publicly available information? It's really interesting to me that some of the tools you use like Zillow are also available to the general public. What's the balance between how publicly available and privately collected information factor into Churchill's reports?

    Good luck with your project!

    Grady Day

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Tanmyaa how are you? Wow it really takes some considerable effort to look at at least 1000 houses. I really appreciate your level of dedication. I think a good name for the shredder would be Spike-Ismail Hamed 10

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Tanmyaa! I am almost triggered that i can't open the picture on my phone or laptop (yes I tried both!), but I am really glad that you are enjoying your time there. It was very interesting how you compared your work with the tv shows you watched and how you were influenced by them, because that had never really occurred to me. Anyways, keep us updated, I am excited to read your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tanmyaa!
    The work you're doing seems to be very tedious and I'm glad to see you're pulling through. I think this question is mostly already answered but is your work mostly solitary and is there any interaction with others regarding work? Anyways good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also I can't see the picture for the shredder. Not sure what I can do to fix that and I've already tried changing browsers along with a few other small attempts (I can't give it a name if I don't know what it looks like.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tanmyaa! Glad to see you are learning more. What were your biggest takeaways from that giant spreadsheet?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Tanmyaa! I also have the same problem as Adam; I can't see the photo of the paper shredder, which is quite a bummer. This week, you mentioned how many clients need more money than expected in operating their property. What do you think is the reason for this?
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Tanmyaa. I really enjoyed learning more about loans. Your comparison of the reality and the world portrayed by TV was also very cool.

    ReplyDelete