Sunday, April 16, 2017

Tenth Week (AKA What Now?)

Hey everyone, sorry for the very late post. I've had this post written since Thursday and was intending to add more to it, but I was at UCLA for freshman admit weekend from Thursday onward and just got home (five minutes ago). It seems that I am good at planning ahead and terrible at executing those plans. Regardless, it was an amazing experience and I am very proud to announce that I have committed and will be attending in the fall. Go Bruins!

I have officially also finished my presentation and I have found that there are several factors that play into commercial mortgage brokering. Without giving too much away, there are four: property value, loan analysis, market conditions, and personal and professional relationships. I basically had to review the commercial mortgage brokering process to reach that conclusion, and as you (more or less) know from following this blog for the past ten weeks, it begins with a loan request, goes through analysis, then brokering, and finally closing.

I guess the question now is what comes next. I will actually continue working at Churchill over the summer, which is an amazing opportunity to learn more about commercial real estate, and I am very grateful to Mrs. Hammond for the opportunity. I start tomorrow and will (hopefully) stay here until I move to UCLA in late September. Overall, the professional experience has been not exactly what I expected, but I think I have been given a lot more liberty than I could have expected. I have heard plenty of horror stories from peers and seen Hollywood portrayals (like the Devil Wears Prada), but everyone that I've had the pleasure of working with has treated me with respect; any question I had, no matter how small, was always answered without condescension, which has not been my experience with several of my classes, surprisingly. Working at Churchill has been an amazing experience, and I am so thankful to be able to continue here.

It's hard to believe it has been ten weeks already. Learning all of the new terms and ways to act in a professional setting was really hard in the beginning, and I can only assume that a transition from only going to high school to working is always a little bit challenging, to say the least. However, the difficulty of that transition was definitely worth it; I have learned so much and found another field I may want to pursue further in college, perhaps as a minor. There's lots of possibilities.

Anyway, as this is my second-to-last post, I should probably mention (maybe I've already done this- I can't remember) that my final presentation is May 6th, from 10:50 to 11:05, and as much as I don't like public speaking, it'd be really cool if you came. I promise I'll try my best not to be boring!

Thank you so much for following my blog as long as you have! See you soon for one last post. 

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you're staying on with Churchill; that sounds like an excellent opportunity! Congraduations on UCLA, and if you're interested in more Bruins, maybe get in touch with Ameya about Synergy's dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tanmyaa! Congrats on UCLA!!! Like Trey said, I can have you come in and meet Bruin to get prepared for UCLA :-P. Anyways, I'm looking forward to your final post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tanmyaa!
    Congratulations on getting into UCLA!!! I have really enjoyed all of your posts these past 10 weeks. They were insightful and witty, and they taught me a lot about the world of commercial real estate. I am glad that you have chosen to continue your journey with Churchill over the summer. Engaging with people and making agreements seems like one of your biggest strengths. By the way, was your internship at Churchill your first real job? Also, what are you planning on majoring in at UCLA? I hope your final presentation runs smoothly!

    Best of luck in college,
    Gabby Wodka :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tanmyaa,
    It is good to know that people at work are respectful and not condescending. Congratulations on UCLA! I hope you have a great time!
    See you for the final post,
    --Kenneth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tanmayaa!

    Wow impressive on the UCLA gig!! Great job!
    So happy that you get to continue your Senior learning into the summer also.
    I wonder if this experience might lead to a job opportunity one day, who knows.

    Congrats again,

    Jakob Krygier

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tanmyaa!

    Congrats on UCLA!! Do you know what you plan to be focusing your studies on yet?

    Based on these blog posts I can tell that you have learned a lot throughout this experience, I have too!

    Looking forward to your final post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Tanmyaa!
    Congrats on UCLA! That's amazing, really. I do wish the best for you.
    I'm not sure if I can see your final presentation on May 6th because SAT subject tests are that day, but I will try my best to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Tanmayaa!
    Woww!!! congrats on UCLA!
    It's good to hear that you have enjoyed your senior project experience. Can't wait for your final post and good luck on your presentation!

    ReplyDelete